Advocating for Mortgage Brokers
Canadian Mortgage Brokers Association of Atlantic Canada communicates with government and regulatory bodies concerning mortgage policies and legislative reform to improve processes and enhance regulations, engage lenders, and educate the public about Mortgage Brokers to better serve Atlantic Canadian mortgage consumers and Mortgage Brokers.
Collectively, the Board of Directors and association volunteers contribute to more than 5000 hours annually working towards our accomplishments, mission and values.
By joining CMBA, your voice adds power to our growing industry and association.
What’s New for 2019?
2018 was a year of planning and growing our financial stability. CMBA Atlantic is now in a position to implement a number of goals. These include:
- A brand new, consumer facing website to highlight the benefits of working with a CMBA Atlantic member broker
- Hired an Executive Assistant, Kirk Campbell, to ensure administrative tasks will be done on a more timely basis
- Provide a booth in the 2019 Home Shows for CMBA Member brokers to meet new clients
- Social Media Advertising to promote CMBA Member brokers and help members grow their business
- Training Tours in all four Atlantic Provinces
- Promoting broker members with provincial Realtor and industry associations.
- Advertised Mortgage Brokers with television commercials on Global and CBC
- Promotes Mortgage Brokers through media interview opportunities
- Regularly contributes to our national quarterly magazine, Canadian Mortgage Broker
- Annual mortgage broker conference for Mortgage Brokers and Industry Partners
- Works to ensure regulators understand the difference between Mortgage Brokers and bank representatives
- Provide Trademark “MB” logo for professional use by association members
- Coordinated a lender panel for the Nova Scotia Association of Realtors (NSAR) conference to educate Realtors about Mortgage Brokers
- Honour and feature leaders in the Atlantic Canada Mortgage Broker Industry including annual recipients of The David MacVicar Memorial Award
- Sponsored the New Brunswick Real Estate Association (NBREA) conference
- Provide networking opportunity for Mortgage Brokers at trade shows, galas and meetings
- Assist in Brokering Wishes fundraising benefitting children in Atlantic Canada
- Visit association members across the region
- Correspond with provincial regulators on Mortgage Broker Act
- Coordinate multiple volunteer committees examining critical mortgage industry concerns
- Testified at the Standing Committee on Finance in Ottawa
- Met with Finance Minister Morneau regarding mortgage rule changes
- Consulted with federal policy advisors regarding mortgage rule changes
- Made recommendations to the Federal Department of Finance,
- Submitted B20 suggestions to the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions
- Worked with Nova Scotia and New Brunswick mortgage regulators
- Provided feedback to the Federal Department of Finance on proposed small business tax reform
- Contributed to the development of the Nova Scotia Down Payment Assistance Program
- Met with the Mortgage Broker Regulators Council of Canada
- Developed relationships with international mortgage broker associations and co-founded the International Mortgage Brokers Federation with Australia
- Participated in the Pan Canadian Finance Association examining industry changes
- Collaborated with Health Canada on Radon Gas educational material
- Conferred with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation on the National Housing Strategy